Frequently Asked Questions


The Sedona Municipal Court handles all state misdemeanor crimes and traffic offenses as well as Sedona City Code violations within the corporate city limits of Sedona. The court issues Orders of Protection to help protect victims of domestic violence and Injunctions Against Harassment to help protect the victims in stalking incidents or other types of harassment. The judge performs wedding ceremonies for couples with a valid Arizona marriage license.

How do I know if my citation is for a criminal offense or a civil violation?

Each of the charges listed on the citation you received has a box that is checked to indicate what type of offense it is -- criminal, criminal traffic, civil traffic or petty offense.  Your citation may contain more than one type of offense.

What am I required to do if I have received a citation for a criminal or criminal traffic offense?

You MUST appear in court on the date and time indicated on the citation. Failure to do so WILL result in contempt of court charge and WARRANT for your arrest.... OR if you retain an attorney to handle the case, your attorney can file a notice of appearance and a plea of not guilty on your behalf.

If you are under 18 years of age and have received a citation for a civil traffic moving violation, you must appear in court on the date and time indicated ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN. Failure to do so may result in SUSPENSION OF YOUR DRIVER LICENSE OR BOTH. 

If You Received A Citation For A Civil Traffic Offense (and are an Adult):

You must either appear in court on or before your scheduled appearance date, pay your fine by mail or online, or request a civil traffic hearing. FAILURE to do so WILL result in default judgment being entered against you for the full amount of the fine, assessment of additional default fees and the suspension of your driver license.

You should have received a court fine schedule with your citation. Please use it as a guide. If you did not receive the fine schedule, you can view it online here:  Fine Schedule.  If you are charged with a moving violation (those maked with an asterik (*) on the fine schedule, you may be eligible for defensive driving school if you have not attended a DDS within the last two years.  The fine schedule also includes information about DDS and how to enroll.  We accept credit/debit card payments of fines and bonds by calleding 1-800-701-8560, or online at  You may also pay your fine by at the court with cash, check or money order.

Return to top

Where do I go to pay my fine?

102 Roadrunner Dr.
Sedona, AZ 86336
Or go to:
Or call: 1-800-701-8560

When is my court date?

Check the citation where it states "You must appear at the date and time indicated."  If you are uncertain, call the Court at (928) 282-1189.

How do I get a refund on my cash bail?

Once authorized by a Judge, refunds are mailed three to four days after a defendant's court date.

There is a warrant out for my arrest.  What do I do?

Appear in court as soon as possible to see a Judge. You also may pay a bail/bond at the jail and be given a new court date.

Return to top

Can you tell me if my license has been suspended?

Call the Motor Vehicle Division at (602) 255-0072. Information is also available at

When am I scheduled for the Defensive Driving Program?

Please refer to the envelope you received from the Police Officer for class information and locations; call the school with whom you registered. For more information call 1-888-334-5565 or visit  the Arizona Supreme Court web site at

Where do I have to report for the Defensive Driving Driving Class?

Please refer to the envelope you received from the Police Officer for class information and locations; call the school with whom you registered. For more information see "Traffic School," and/or "Arizona Defensive Driving School."

How do I get a continuance for my Defensive Driving Class?

The school with whom you registered can obtain a continuance for you when you register, or call the court at (928) 282-1189.

I went to the Defensive Driving Class, now what happens?

When you complete the class at an Arizona Supreme Court certified school, the school notifies the court of your completion and the charge is dismissed on your record. For further questions, call the Court at (928) 282-1189.

Can I take advantage of the Defensive Driving program for an Arizona citation if I live out-of-state?

If you wish to attend out-of-state, contact one of the Arizona schools listed on the envelope you received from the Police Officer. One of these schools can coordinate your attendance in your state, and complete the dismissal with the Court.

Return to top

How do I get protection from my violent spouse or the person with whom I live?

Request an "Order of Protection" (see Orders Of Protection). Call the Court at (928) 282-1189 or come to the Court at 102 Roadrunner Dr, Sedona, AZ.

Can you stop threats from my neighbor/acquaintance/coworker, etc.?

Request an "Injunction Against Harassment" (see Injunctions Against Harassment). Call the Court at (928) 282-1189 or come to Court at 102 Roadrunner Dr., Sedona, AZ.

What do I need to do if I want the Judge to perform my wedding?

See "Sedona Weddings" for details.

Do I get a marriage license from you?

No, contact Yavapai County Superior Court in Camp Verde at (928) 567-7714 or Coconino County Superior Court in Flagstaff at (928) 779-6535.

Return to top